Thursday, August 30, 2007

Serenity now! Serenity now!

Well I must say the Bug is driving me bonkers! She's going through the "I can't tell you how I'm feeling, but I can be aggressive" phase. She'll hit me and even after I tell her "we don't hit because it hurts," she does it again. Even if I raise my voice a little she gets this smirk on her face like it's all a big joke. I try to talk to her and put a name to what she's feeling. It's driving me nuts! Any advice?

Also, as I said in a previous post she's been in her toddler bed for 1.5 weeks now and had been doing great - she has always been good at going down for naps. But in the past few days she'll play for 1-2 hours before falling asleep on the floor somewhere - twice in front of her door. She doesn't cry, but plays quietly. Even if I go in and lay her back down it's the same story. Selfishly I must admit that it's nice - gives me a little extra alone time, but I want to do what is right for her. Will this pass? Any advice?

I was talking to my mother today and she suggested a swap with another mom, so we both have a couple of hours of alone time during the week. I think I'll look into that and maybe a playgroup. That will give Ella and I time with other people, instead of just the two of us all the time. I'll keep you updated.

6 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

She is welcome to play here anytime. Now that the Princess is in school full time, the Pea gets really bored. If you ever want to do an exchange during school hours, I am game! I will just let you know when preschool is and we could work around that.

The Pea LOVES the Bug.

Blackeyedsue said...

I say, enjoy the quiet time. Right now it is just a novelty that will wear off. She just has to exercise a little freedom and it is good for her to wear herself out.

Anonymous said...

How about a taste of her own medicine? Nobody wants to hit their kid, but without a little taste how will a toddler learn hitting is uncomfortable? Be sure to hit hard enough to make it uncomfortable, LOL, or else it might still be a game to her. I have also seen a well-placed pinch used as a deterrent. Any negative Pavlov-like response to bad behavior should train a young child well, but take time to experiment to find his/her currency. In this case it is clear a raised voice is not her currency.

For the naps - Steph and I saw something cool on Supernanny the other night. There was a four-year-old girl known for coming out of her room countless times after tuck-in. The Nanny told Mom to tell the girl quietly "It's time for bed," the first time she came out and then lead her back to bed. After that the Mom was told to simply lead the girl back to bed and *not say a word*. It was unreal - the girl had to be led back into her room 17 times in 45 minutes, but after that she went to sleep. It sounded like a good idea because we usually talk to our three-year-old each time she comes out and that verbal stimulation probably keeps them awake and gives them the attention they seek. :) - Jeremy

Anonymous said...

From me, grandmother of Bug, Princess and the Pea, I wanted to share that this is the FIRST TIME I have viewed a blog! Great!

I'm so glad to hear both of you, Kris & Steph, are interested in having a once-a-week playdate at your house while the other Mom gets to deliver her daughter to your house and have a couple of hours off--AND the honored guest gets exposure to another child from whom she will learn more about sharing, cooperating, speaking and maybe even examples in "potty-training" that will help her mature in their joint play time together. Grandma Allen

Anonymous said...

Vegetables if not eaten much by a person when a child causes an adult to have to learn to try various ones to acquire a "good taste" for them. To achieve this, try to eat them every meal.

Breakfast: You can put chopped green peppers, tomatoes, and onions in scrambled eggs or omelettes. Lunch: Make sure you eat celery & carrot sticks. Dinner: Forget white potatoes and always serve a green salad, green vegetable like peas, beans, broccoli, spinach (good w/vinegar on it) with an orange one such as a sweet potatoe, carrots, orange or yellow squash, etc.). Corn is high in calories...

Anonymous said...

The above "vegetable" notes are from your Mom, Nadine Allen aka "Gamma Allen" as Bug calls me. (When you mentioned to me that when she gets hurt she says "Gamma Allen" just melts my heart! How I love my darling granddaughters and grandsons!)

Additionally, I wanted to mention how good it is to make and eat things like "Spinach Quiche" (made with eggs, vegetables & cheese) too as the provides protein and veggies, so good for one's body!

Salads: You should never serve a dinner without a vegetables salad of some type (spinach, lettuce or various kinds, or cole slaw made with cabbage)--or raw veggies--to filfull the daily requirement for fresh veggie intake. The balace of a salad when combined with the other foods helps in the food balance for them all to compliment one another, digest well and helps prevent colon cancer!